Tesco has launched its online grocery shopping service for customers in Bratislava and several surrounding towns.
18-10-2012 — /europawire.eu/ — Almost 1,000 customers per week will be able to order their shopping online and have it delivered directly to their homes. The new service offers Slovak customers almost 20,000 lines of fresh and frozen food, groceries and non-food items such as toys, newspapers and magazines, and basic household items.
The launch follows a successful trial with customers and staff and is part of the Tesco group strategy to be an outstanding international retailer in-store and online.
“This is a new innovative offer for the Slovak market and we believe that the service will help Slovak customers in today’s hectic world, not just by making shopping easier, but also saving them time.” said Martin Dlouhý, CEO Tesco Slovakia
The launch is the latest development in Tesco’s roll-out of its online grocery service to its businesses across the world. “We’ve used our learning and experience from our existing online operations in the UK, Ireland, South Korea, and more recently in the Czech Republic and Poland, to create an innovative IT platform that is industry leading and scalable,” comments Ken Towle, Online Food and Internet Retailing Director.
Tesco will initially operate from two stores covering Bratislava and several smaller towns such as Senec, Pezinok and Stupava.
Notes to Editors:
- Tesco entered Slovakia in 1996 through the acquisition of seven K-Mart Department Stores
- Today, Tesco Slovakia operates more than 126 stores and employs over 9,500 colleagues.
- Launched in the UK in 2000, Tesco.com is now one of the UK’s top 5 most visited retail websites. More than a million UK households regularly order around a billion items each year.
- It has seen double digit growth for over 12 years and is a profitable part of the business for Tesco.
- We have devoted over fifteen years to developing what we believe to be the most efficient, quick and accurate system.
- The innovative IT platform was developed jointly with our Hindustan Service Centre (HSC) in India. HSC is Tesco’s global business services centre. Wholly owned by Tesco, it provides IT, financial, R&D and business services to the group and was set up in 2004 to support Tesco’s growth strategy.
- In addition to Slovakia, Tesco has online grocery services operating in the Czech Republic, Ireland, Poland, South Korea and the UK. The service will launch soon in Thailand and Malaysia.