LONDON, 28-Apr-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — A four-week project to keep gas flowing to businesses in Northampton town centre for the rest of the century is due to start on 3 May.
National Grid will be renewing 200 metres of gas mains in Castilian Street, Derngate and St Giles Street. Ageing iron mains will be replaced with tough new plastic pipes that will last for at least 80 years once they are in the ground.
To carry out the work safely, a number of parking spaces will need to be temporarily suspended while the work is under way.
Mark Allsop, National Grid Authorising Engineer, said: “National Grid plays a vital role in keeping people warm and this essential work will mean that local businesses can continue to enjoy a safe and reliable gas supply for many years to come.
“We will make every effort to reduce any disruption to the local community and complete this work as soon as possible. We really appreciate people’s patience and co-operation.”
Gas engineers may need access to properties to replace service pipes (the pipes that take gas from the main in the road to individual properties). This work will involve temporarily interrupting the gas supply and anyone who is affected will be notified beforehand.
All National Grid engineers carry official identity cards, which people should ask to see before allowing them on their property.
For any enquiries about this work people should contact National Grid’s customer services team on 0800 096 5678. To find out more about how National Grid replaces gas mains and how that affects residents and businesses go to www.bettergaspipes.co.uk.
Contact for media information only
Regional press officer East Midlands, East Anglia, Yorkshire & Humberside
+44 (0)7899 983792
+44 (0)1926 655271
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry – 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.