TDI and TSI: new engines in the Sharan up to 14.3 per cent more efficient
Wolfsburg / Hannover, 19-6-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — App-Connect: new infotainment systems bring Apple and Google on board
Ten key facts about the new Sharan:
1. New TSI and TDI engines up to 14.3 per cen more fuel efficientt; the most efficient model consumes just 5.0 l/100 km.
2. All engines (115 to 220 PS) fulfil the Euro-6 standard.
3. Completely new array of infotainment systems.
4. Perfectly networked with ‘Android Auto™’ (Google), ‘CarPlay™’ (Apple), ‘MirrorLink™’ and ‘Volkswagen Car-Net’.
5. Thanks to Blind Spot Monitor (optionally linked to Lane Assist), Rear Traffic Alert and Automatic Post-Collision Braking System even safer.
6. Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Front Assist with City Emergency Braking are available in the Sharan for the first time.
7. New LED rear lights and 16-inch alloy wheels.
8. Interior is upgraded with higher quality trim and materials, plus enhanced instrumentation.
9. The launch in Europe starts in mid-July (w/c 13th July).
10. Exclusive ‘Beach’ and ‘Ocean’ models for the launch.
- For two decades the highly flexible Sharan has been one of European families’ main motoring companions. In addition, the 5- to 7-seat Volkswagen has also made a career for itself as a refined business vehicle, especially in Asia. Having sold over 200,000 units in the current generation and over 800,000 in total, a technically much enhanced version of the MPV is now making its debut. Numerous convenience and driver assistance systems are new on board, with many of these celebrating their premiere in the Sharan’s vehicle segment. Volkswagen – with the ‘VW Campervan’ the inventors of the compact MPV – have also completely updated the array of infotainment systems. These provide a maximum degree of connectivity, as ‘MirrorLink™’ ‘CarPlay™’ from Apple and ‘Android Auto™’ from Google are also included for the first time. Also at the forefront of the changes are the Sharan’s new engines, which consume up to 14.3 per cent less fuel and fulfil the Euro-6 emission standard.
- 115 to 220 PS. The engines* used – two petrol (TSI) and three diesel (TDI) – are four-cylinder, 16-valve engines that are both powerful and efficient, featuring turbocharging and direct fuel injection. The TSI engines deliver 110 kW / 150 PS and 162 kW / 220 PS (a gain of 20 PS) respectively, with the 150 PS version consuming, in combination with the standard manual transmission, just 6.4 l/100 km. The TDI engines are available at three power levels: 85 kW / 115 PS, 110 kW / 150 PS (gain of 10 PS) and 135 kW / 184 PS (gain of 7 PS). The TDI versions delivering 115 and 150 PS consume, in combination with the six-speed manual gearbox, a mere 5.0 l/100 km. All diesel engines are fitted with an SCR catalytic converter. Also standard on all models are Stop-Start and brake energy recovery systems. A remarkable feat given the size of the vehicle is that practically all TSI models achieve efficiency class B (220 PS: C) and all TDI versions achieve efficiency class A. With the exception of the smallest diesel, all engines can be combined with an automatic six-speed dual clutch gearbox (DSG), which now provides a ‘coasting’ function (decoupling of the engine when lifting off the accelerator) for additional fuel-saving. The DSG transmission is included as standard with the top 220 PS engine. As an alternative, the 150 PS TDI engine is also available with 4MOTION all-wheel drive.
- New driver assistance systems. Further increases in convenience and safety are provided, as outlined above, by the new driver assistance systems in the Sharan. The Automatic Post-Collision Braking System is included as standard. The optional Front Assist traffic monitoring system alerts the driver if the distance to the vehicle ahead is too short and applies the brakes as necessary. Meanwhile, the City Emergency Braking function integrated within the system is active at speeds of up to 30 km/h and, if worse comes to worst, automatically initiates emergency braking in order to avoid a collision or to minimise its intensity. For the first time, the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) system is also available on the Sharan. The electronic parking brake system now features an Auto Hold function, which stops the vehicle rolling back when stationary or driving off. Other new optional features include the third generation Park Assist system (assisted manoeuvring in and out of parking spaces) and the Blind Spot Monitor (alerts drivers to the presence of vehicles in the blind spot when changing lanes), which also includes Rear Traffic Alert, a system that warns of any traffic coming across the vehicle’s path when reversing out of a parking space.
- Second generation modular infotainment matrix. The completely updated array of touchscreen infotainment modules encompasses the standard 5-inch ‘Composition Colour’ system and the 6.5-inch systems called ‘Composition Media’ and ‘Discover Media’ (with navigation). The Sharan also offers an extremely high degree of connectivity, as it can for the first time be equipped with the ‘App-Connect’ and ‘Guide & Inform’ Car-Net functions. ‘App-Connect’ is based on the smartphone interfaces ‘MirrorLink™’, ‘Android Auto™’ (Google) and ‘CarPlay™’ (Apple), via which all sorts of different apps can be fed into the infotainment system. Volkswagen ‘Guide & Inform’ online services also provide information such as up-to-date traffic alerts and details of free spaces in nearby car parks and filling stations with low fuel prices. The ‘Discover Media’ infotainment system can also be linked to ‘Media Control’: via this new app users are able to use Wi-Fi and a tablet to access functions of the on-board system, such as navigation or the media player.
- Optimised exterior and interior. The Sharan’s exterior has been sharpened: the rear light cluster with LED technology presents a more concise light signature, while the revised model also gains an extended range of wheels, including the new 16-inch ‘Jakarta’ alloys, and two new body colours (‘Hudson Bay Blue Metallic’ and ‘Crimson Red Metallic’). The interior has been optimised as well: three new trim designs – ‘Platinum Silver’ (standard on the Trendline), ‘Piano Black’ (standard on the Highline) and ‘Mirror Oak’ (available as an option for the Comfortline and Highline) – enhance the dashboard and the door panels. Modified steering wheels and a massage function for the optional 12-way seats optimise ergonomics
- Exclusive special models. Volkswagen is enhancing the Sharan’s launch with two stylishly customised special models: the Sharan Ocean and Sharan Beach. They are painted in two new colours: ‘Hudson Bay Blue Metallic’ (Ocean) or ‘Crimson Red’ (Beach). Extended options for exterior equipment include the newly designed ‘Jakarta’ 16-inch alloy wheels and silver roof rails. The two exclusive versions are also equipped with the ACC assistance system, Lane Assist, the Blind Spot Monitor plus Rear Traffic Alert and Park Assist (including ParkPilot). Also included as standard are specially designed seat covers with contrast stitching coordinated with the exterior colour, a multifunction steering wheel, a gear lever gaiter with corresponding decorative stitching, electric rather than manual sliding doors for the rear seating area and automatic air conditioning.
- The model range. The Sharan is available with 5, 6 or 7 seats and always with two sliding doors. As was once the case with the first ‘VW Campervan’, the Sharan has been designed on the principle of ‘form follows function’ in order to be able to create a superbly flexible and spacious interior. Clear, precise design and the ratio of its proportions make a confident, unmistakable presence a hallmark of the new Sharan. It is 4,854 mm long, 1,713 mm high (without roof rails) and 1,904 mm wide (2,081 mm including wing mirrors). The result is a dynamic interplay of proportions and a powerful overall look and feel. The Sharan is one of the most successful MPVs in its class. Key reasons for this are its flexibility and exceptionally good interior space. The EasyFold seat design, with its quick-to-use folding mechanism, makes it easy to stow the individual seats of the second and third rows into the floor of the vehicle, thus maximising its flexibility. The passenger seats in the second row can be repositioned laterally, and the backs can be adjusted by an angle of 20 degrees. Features such as two integrated child seats, up to nine air bags and 33 storage bins, plus an impressive luggage capacity of 2,430 litres also speak for themselves. Further characteristic features of the Sharan that have made it the most successful German MPV in its class include a high level of quality, perfect ergonomics and intuitive ease of use.
110 kW / 150 PS TSI: Fuel consumption, l/100km: urban 8,1 – 7,9 / highway 5,9 – 5,5 / combined 6,7 – 6,4; combined CO2 emissions, g/km: 157 – 148, efficiency class: B
162 kW / 220 PS TSI:Fuel consumption, l/100 km: combined 7,3 – 7,2, combined CO2-emissions, g/km: 168 – 167 (estimated values)
85 kW / 115 PS TDI: Fuel consumption, l/100km: urban 6,1 – 6,0 / highway 4,6 – 4,5 / combined 5,1 – 5,0; combined CO2 emissions, g/km: 132 – 130, efficiency class: A
110 kW / 150 PS (plus 10 PS) TDI: Fuel consumption, l/100km: urban 6,1 – 5,9 / highway 4,7 – 4,5 / combined 5,2 – 5,0; combined CO2 emissions, g/km: 137 – 130, efficiency class: A
135 kW / 184 PS (plus 7 PS): Fuel consumption, l/100km: urban 6,7 – 6,1 / highway 4,8 – 4,5 / combined 5,3; combined CO2 emissions, g/km: 139 – 138, efficiency class: A
150-PS-TDI 4MOTION: Fuel consumption, l/100km: urban 6,8 – 6,7 / highway 5,1 – 5,0 / combined 5,7 – 5,6; combined CO2 emissions, g/km: 147 – 146, efficiency class: A
“TDI”, “TSI”, “DSG” and “electric propshaft” are registered trademarks of Volkswagen AG or other companies of the Volkswagen Group in Germany and other countries. Features and technical data apply to models on sale in Germany. Details for other countries may vary.