DERBY, 6-10-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — Rolls-Royce Holdings plc today announces the appointment of Sir Kevin Smith CBE as a Non-Executive Director. Sir Kevin will join the Board with effect from 1 November 2015 and will become a member of the Nominations and Governance Committee, the Remuneration Committee and the Science & Technology Committee.
Sir Kevin joins from Unitas Capital, a leading Asian private equity firm, where he has been a full-time partner based in Hong Kong since joining the firm in February 2012. He has used his extensive industrial leadership experience to work closely with Unitas’ portfolio companies, including being a director of technology company Edwards Group Limited (previously NASDAQ listed) from March 2012 until its sale to Atlas Copco in August 2013.
Sir Kevin served for 9 years until 31 December 2011 as CEO of GKN Plc., the FTSE100-listed global engineering and manufacturing company, after leading GKN’s Aerospace division from 1999 to 2003. Before joining GKN, he spent nearly 20 years with British Aerospace (BAE plc), predominantly in its Military Aircraft and Defence businesses before becoming Group Managing Director of BAE’s New Business division. Sir Kevin also served as a Non-Executive Director of Scottish and Southern Energy plc between June 2004 and July 2008.
He was knighted in 2006 for services to industry, holds an honorary doctorate from Cranfield University and is a Fellow of the University of Central Lancashire, The Royal Aeronautical Society and The Chartered Institute of Management.
Ian Davis, Chairman of Rolls-Royce, said: “Sir Kevin is a great fit for our Board. He has a deep knowledge of global engineering and manufacturing businesses, as well as the aerospace industry. His private equity experience in operations intensive businesses with Unitas will also be extremely valuable. We welcome Sir Kevin and are looking forward to working with him.”
Sir Kevin said: “Rolls Royce is admired the world over and represents the pinnacle of British engineering. I am delighted to join the Board and excited by the opportunity for the Company to deliver a really exciting future from today’s outstanding market positions.”
Save as disclosed above, there are no further details to disclose under paragraphs 9.6.13 R (1) to (6) of the Listing Rules in respect of Sir Kevin Smith CBE.
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce’s vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business divisions, Aerospace and Land & Sea. These business divisions address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines. Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. Land & Sea comprises Marine, Nuclear and Power Systems.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer – placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration – deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost – continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash – improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £14.6 billion in 2014, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £76.5 billion at 30 June 2015.
- In 2014, Rolls-Royce invested £1.2 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 54,000 people in more than 50 countries. Over 15,500 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2014 we employed 354 graduates and 357 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes. Globally we have over 1,000 Rolls-Royce STEM ambassadors who are actively involved in education programmes and activities; we have set ourselves a target to reach 6 million people through our STEM outreach activities by 2020.
Director of External Communications
Tel +44 (0)2072279163
Mobile +44 (0)7974918416
External Communications Manager
Mobile +44 (0)7968906469
SOURCE: Rolls-Royce plc