LONDON, 5-11-2014 — /EuropaWire/ — Rolls-Royce is proud to announce that BG Group has selected the Trent 60 DLE industrial gas turbine as the driver for the main refrigeration compressors in the proposed Lake Charles LNG Export project in Louisiana, USA.
BG Group and Rolls-Royce have also agreed the terms of a Long Term Service Agreement covering the support and maintenance of the equipment for up to 25 years that will help deliver high levels of availability for this important LNG plant. Both the equipment and service contracts are expected to be activated in the first half of 2015, subject to the US LNG plant permitting process and final investment decisions by BG Group and Energy Transfer, the developers of the project.
Each of the three LNG trains will utilise four Trent 60 DLE gas turbines as part of the Air Products C3MR refrigeration process. Each train will employ two Trent 60 DLE gas turbines driving propane compressors and two Trent 60 DLE gas turbines driving mixed refrigerant compressors for a total of twelve Trent 60 DLE gas turbines in the plant.
With an ISO rating of 54.2 MW and 43.6% thermal efficiency, the Trent 60 DLE, which is based on the aero Trent 800 with over 20 million operating hours, is the most powerful and fuel efficient aero-derivative gas turbine available. With over 300,000 hours of experience in mechanical drive, a compact plot plan and field proven extremely high levels of availability and reliability, the Trent 60 is ideal for both onshore and offshore LNG facilities.
Andrew Heath, President of Rolls-Royce Energy, said: “We’re delighted with BG Group’s vote of confidence in the Trent 60 DLE. We believe our aero-derivative technology will become the leader in the LNG sector, due to its superior economics. We are looking forward to a long and productive relationship with BG.”
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce’s vision is to create better power for a changing world via two main business segments, Aerospace and Land & Sea. These business segments address markets with two strong technology platforms, gas turbines and reciprocating engines.
- Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace and Defence Aerospace. Land & Sea comprises Marine, Nuclear & Energy and Power Systems. On 6 May 2014 Rolls-Royce announced it had signed an agreement to sell its Energy gas turbine and compressor business to Siemens for a £785m cash consideration. On completion, expected before the end of December 2014, Rolls-Royce will receive a further £200 million for a 25 year licensing agreement.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers, including 70 navies, and 1,600 energy and nuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer – placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration – deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost – continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash – improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £15.5 billion in 2013, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £70.4 billion at 30 June 2014.
- In 2013, Rolls-Royce invested £1.1 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 55,000 people in 45 countries. Over 17,000 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2013 we employed 379 graduates and 288 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes. Globally we have over 1,000 Rolls-Royce STEM ambassadors who are actively involved in education programmes and activities; we have set ourselves a target to reach 6 million people through our STEM outreach activities by 2020.
About the Lake Charles LNG Export project
The proposed Lake Charles LNG Export project has been granted conditional authorization by the US Department of Energy to export up to 2 billion cubic feet per day (or approximately 15 million metric tonnes per annum) of LNG to non-free trade agreement nations. In addition, an application has been filed with the US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission seeking the Commission’s authorization for the siting, construction, ownership and operation of the project. Energy Transfer will own and finance the proposed facility and BG Group is responsible for the offtake. BG Group will also select the engineering, procurement and construction contractor and manage construction. Upon completion, BG Group will operate the proposed facility under a long-term agreement with Energy Transfer.
About BG Group plc
BG Group plc (LSE: BG.L) is a world leader in natural gas, with a broad portfolio of business interests focused on exploration and production and liquefied natural gas. Active in more than 20 countries on five continents, BG Group combines a deep understanding of gas markets with a proven track record in finding and commercializing reserves.
For further information, please contact:
Director of External Communications
T: +44 (0)20 7227 9163
M: +44 (0) 7810 850055
M: +44 (0) 7974 918416