Record demand for vans continues
BERLIN, 09-Aug-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — Although July this year had two working days less than July 2015, Germany’s new registrations of commercial vehicles almost equaled the volume recorded in the same month last year. A total of 28,500 units were registered (-1 percent). After adjustment for the calendar, however, last month showed growth of 8 percent. In the first seven months of the current year, sales of commercial vehicles in Germany came to 205,500, which represented a very welcome rise of 9 percent.
All segments of the commercial vehicle market expanded. For example, following a record year in 2015, the market for light commercial vehicles (up to 6 tonnes) increased by a good 9 percent during the first seven months, to 150,100 units. Furthermore 51,700 heavy commercial vehicles over 6 tonnes were sold (+6 percent). New bus registrations climbed by 16 percent to 3,600 vehicles – the strongest growth so far this year.
Owing to the fewer working days, new registrations of trailers in July fell to 27,100 units (-7 percent), but showed a year-to-date rise of nearly 5 percent to 186,700 trailers. Within this segment, especially strong growth was seen in sales of semi-trailers, which totaled 21,800 new registrations (+12 percent).
This year so far domestic incoming orders for vans have added 14 percent to last year’s figure. Despite a slump in July (-11 percent), demand remains high and the manufacturers’ order books are still fairly full.
The healthy state of the German market for light commercial vehicles also has a positive influence on production at German plants. In July 23,500 new vehicles rolled off the production lines (+2 percent). A new record was set for the year to July as the production volume hit 189,100 vehicles. Of these, 142,100 units – i.e. three quarters – were exported.
Matthias Wissmann, President of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA), stressed, “The German commercial vehicle business proved to be stable in July despite having fewer working days. The market is in good shape. This year so far all the segments – trucks, buses and vans – have recorded clear growth. Capacity utilization is high at the German production facilities. This all bodes well for the world’s most important trade show for transport, logistics and mobility, the 66th IAA Commercial Vehicles.” The IAA will take place in Hannover from September 22 to 29 and is organized by the VDA.
|July 2016||January – July 2016|
|Commercial verhicles *)||Volume||Change
16/15 in %
|CV up to 6 t||20.599||0||150.100||9|
|CV up to 2 t||1.264||-11||10.300||8|
|CV over 2 to 3,5 t||18.929||1||136.160||9|
|CV over 3,5 to 6 t||406||-31||3.650||5|
|CV over 6 t||7.390||-5||51.750||6|
|CV over 6 to 16 t||1.861||-10||12.110||2|
|CV over 16 t||5.529||-3||39.640||8|
|CV up to 6 t||17.830||-6||142.130||0|
|CV up to 6 t||23.450||2||189.070||0|
Head of Department Press
Tel: +49 30 897842-120
Fax: +49 30 897842-603