Martorell, 1-10-2014 — /EuropaWire/ — SEAT’s Martorell production plant is celebrating – the facility’s Line 1 has produced its Ibiza number five million. And the Spanish brand’s most iconic model has reached this milestone on the occasion of its 30th anniversary.
Employees on the line of the best-selling car, together with SEAT Executive Committee Chairman Jürgen Stackmann, Vice-President for Production Dr. Andreas Tostmann, Head of Martorell Production Plant Stefan Loth, Mercedes Álvarez, SEAT Ibiza Product Management and Works Committee Chairman Matías Carnero, have today celebrated the making of the Ibiza number 5 million.
This week the Spanish company is going to the Paris Motor Show to present the Leon X-PERIENCE, the brand’s most adventurous version of its compact car, as well as to celebrate the 30th anniversary of its most iconic model, together with the whole automotive industry. Paris was the city that showcased the SEAT Ibiza’s first appearance three decades ago, the city that showed the world the first 100%-SEAT car.
Now, 30 years later, the SEAT Ibiza has become the best-selling and most-exported Spanish passenger car. Seventy per cent of those 5 million units (about 3.5 million) have been sold outside the borders of Spain in the more than 75 countries where the company has a presence. Italy, France, Germany, the United Kingdom, Portugal and Mexico have proved to be the most important markets for the best-selling car throughout its history.
Esther García Castellanos, a member of the SEAT Ibiza production team for more than a decade, highlights the fact that “SEAT has always been part of my life. My father was an employee at the SEAT plant in the Zona Franca, and this is the company that has given me the opportunity to get ahead in my career, always on the Ibiza production line. For me, reaching the figure of 5 million cars produced is the result of the passion we put in every day, the motivation of the personnel and proof positive of a job well done”.
Did you know that…?
• 700 SEAT Ibiza leave the Martorell plant every day.
• It employs around 1,600 persons.
• Around 700 robots contribute to the success of the SEAT Ibiza.
• A SEAT Ibiza covers around 12 km throughout its production process.
• 5 million SEAT Ibiza placed end-to-end would stretch almost 19,300 km, the distance between Martorell and Auckland in New Zealand.
• The 5 million units have consumed a total of 70 million kilograms of paint.
• The SEAT Ibiza with female touches:
– The first SEAT to open the door to women on the production line.
– Women account for 21% of the production line.
– Two pop icons, Shakira and Katy Perry, have provided the music for the best-selling car’s advertising spots.
• The approximate price of the SEAT Ibiza in 1984 was 825,000 pesetas (4,950€). This is the equivalent of 15,620€ at today’s prices.
• The SEAT Ibiza was the official car at the Barcelona Olympic Games 1992.
T / +34 93 708 53 78
T / +34 93 708 59 50