LONDON, 26-6-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — Rio Tinto’s spectacular Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender has been launched during a world exclusive preview at the Sydney Opera House, with this year’s iconic collection including some of the most vivid pink and red diamonds ever unearthed from the Argyle mine.
The 2015 Tender, known as the “Connoisseur’s Collection”, comprises 65 diamonds weighing a total of 44.14 carats, including four Fancy Red diamonds, and is expected to attract global demand.
The collection comprises five “hero” diamonds selected for their unique beauty and named to ensure there is a permanent record of their contribution to the history of the world’s most important diamonds.
Rio Tinto Diamonds & Minerals chief executive Alan Davies said “This collection is one of the most beautiful in the history of the Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender. The unique combination of colour, shape and clarity of these diamonds will ensure it is a very special collection.
“The Argyle Diamond Mine has changed the course of the history of pink diamonds and this year’s Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender is testament to this extraordinary mine that continues to produce the world’s most sought after gems.”
Argyle Pink Diamonds manager Josephine Johnson said “Every Argyle pink diamond in the collection is around 1.6 billion years old, coveted for their unsurpassed beauty and a credit to the craftsmanship and pursuit of excellence by all those involved in bringing them to market.”
The names of some of the best diamonds in the Tender have been inspired by the world of ballet in recognition of Argyle Pink Diamonds partnership with The Australian Ballet. They are:
- Argyle Prima™ – a 1.20 carat Fancy Red pear shaped diamond coveted for its unique combination of size, shape, colour and clarity which is rarely seen in the rarefied fancy coloured diamond world
- Argyle Aurora™ – a 1.47 carat Fancy Red oval shaped diamond, named in honour of Princess Aurora from The Sleeping Beauty
- Argyle Allegro™ – a 0.79 carat Fancy Red radiant shaped diamond, named after the brisk and lively ballet movement and reminiscent of the red colour dancing within this diamond
- Argyle Spectre™ – a 1.93 carat Fancy Vivid Purplish Pink shield shaped diamond. The vibrant pink colour and strong shape of this diamond is inspired by the ballet Le Spectre de la rose
- Argyle Élevé™ – 1.44 carat Fancy Intense Pink emerald shaped diamond, inspired by the ballet movement of rising high without bending and reflecting of the perfect long lines and elegance of the emerald shape
The 2015 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender will have viewings in Sydney, Hong Kong, New York and Perth and bids will close on 21 October 2015.
Follow @RioTinto on Twitter
Communications Manager, Rio Tinto Diamonds
M + 61 417 968 359