Proposals now accepted by NWO’s Science PPP Fund within Chemistry, Energy, High-Tech Systems & Materials, Agri & Food and ICT

Proposals now accepted by NWO’s Science PPP Fund within Chemistry, Energy, High-Tech Systems & Materials, Agri & Food and ICT

(PRESS RELEASE) THE HAGUE, 7-Feb-2019 — /EuropaWire/ — Science-wide PPP fund by NWO Domain Science opens for public-private research within the NWO Domain Science. Chemistry (including BBE), Energy, High-Tech Systems & Materials, Agri & Food and ICT are the top sectors open for cooperation between companies (including SMEs) and knowledge institutes.

Four different types of partnerships are available through the Science PPP Fund, which are grouped into two separate calls:

  • ENW PPS-fonds 2019
  • call KIEM 2019

Call ENW PPS-fonds 2019

Industrial Partnership Project (IPP): collaboration between researchers from one or more companies and one or more knowledge institutions. Those projects will be 50% funded by NWO and the remaining 50% are supposed to be in-cash contributions from the industry. The minimum budget for an IPP is EUR 1m while the maximum is EUR 2m.

Technology Area (TA): here consortium of at least two companies and at least two knowledge institutions must be formed. NWO will cover 70% of the project costs while the participating companies will jointly pay the rest 30%. The private contribution may be partially paid in kind. The minimum budget for a Technology Area (TA) project is EUR 750,000 and the maximum budget is EUR 1.5m.

Launchpad for Innovative Future Technology (LIFT): collaboration must be established between at least one company and at least one knowledge institution. Under this scheme, NWO contributes 80% while the Industry will provide 20% of the funding for LIFT projects in cash. A LIFT project can be carried out and funded in one or in two phases, but the whole project must be applied for at once. The minimum total project budget amounts to EUR 150,000 and the maximum is EUR 300,000.

There are two deadlines for submitting proposals to the Science PPP Fund:

  • 4 June 2019, 14:00h CE(S)T,
  • 8 October 2019, 14:00h CE(S)T.

Call KIEM 2019

Knowledge and Innovation Mapping (KIEM): A SME / start-up collaborates with one or more knowledge institutions. NWO contribution per project is € 16,000 as a minimum while the maximum is € 40,000 per project. The SME or start-up must be based in the Netherlands and is expected to pay 20% of the project costs while NWO will cover 80%. The first € 5000 of the SME / start-up contribution may be contributed in kind. In this way the project size can increase up to € 50,000.

Proposals for KIEM grants will be accepted on a continuous basis until 8 October 2019.

Companies and knowledge institutes are encouraged to jointly develop innovations and/or knowledge and the proposals must match the knowledge and innovation agenda(s) of one or more of the top sectors involved.

The Science PPP Fund has earmarked 12 million euros in 2019 to finance projects that feature fundamental research.

The table summarises which partnership is available for which top sector

More information about the Science PPP fund can be found at

SOURCE: The Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO)



Comments are closed.