LONDON, 04-Sep-2017 — /EuropaWire/ — Wellcome is giving £13 million in funding to five science centres around the UK to encourage new and different ideas that will help to make science more accessible.
The funding has been awarded through the Inspiring Science Fund.
The successful centres in this first round of funding are At-Bristol, Aberdeen Science Centre, International Centre for Life in Newcastle, Thinktank in Birmingham and W5 in Belfast.
Simon Chaplin, Wellcome’s Director of Culture & Society, says that Wellcome believes everyone should have the opportunity to explore, debate and shape research. “Science centres across the UK provide welcoming spaces to help make this happen and to explore the role of science in culture.”
About the science centres
- At-Bristol(opens in a new tab) has announced that it is going to change its name to We The Curious, marking a change of direction for the centre towards a creative, multidisciplinary space where science and culture can co-exist. Its Curious City exhibition will be based on science questions gathered from the diverse communities of Bristol.
- International Centre for Life(opens in a new tab)’s Creative Explorations will combine new interactive exhibitions, a regional outreach programme and three pilot engagement projects to work closely with underserved communities, supported by an overarching organisational review.
- Thinktank(opens in a new tab) will develop a new, 1,000m2 interactive gallery where under-8s can explore, play and learn in a STEM-based, dynamic learning environment. It wants to reach new audiences and promote emotional, intellectual and physical wellbeing. This will be supported by a programme of community co-production and early years research.
- Aberdeen Science Centre(opens in a new tab) will transform the UK’s most northerly science centre into a future-looking hub. It aims to make learning and discovery accessible for all, inspired by life-long journeys with science through play, education, daily life and engagement with topical issues.
- In Belfast, W5(opens in a new tab) will create new immersive exhibition areas and experiences where visitors can become fully absorbed and engaged. New approaches to technology will enable dynamic content and create more flexibility in how the space can be used.
Inspiring Science Fund: next round of funding
Applications for the next round of the Inspiring Science Fund are now open. The deadline for preliminary submissions is 19 October 2017.
If you have a media enquiry
For general enquiries, call +44 (0)20 7611 8866 or email email@example.com. Contact details for individual media team members are listed below.