Perthshire, Scotland, 17-2-2014 — /EuropaWire/ — Ryder Cup Europe has appointed transport operator Stagecoach as the provider of buses to The 2014 Ryder Cup, being held at Gleneagles.
The company, Britain’s biggest bus operator, will provide a fleet of 150 double decker buses to and from Ryder Cup Park and Ride sites at Perth, Stirling and Kinross during the week of the event.
Richard Hills, Europe’s Ryder Cup Director, said: “It is a huge operation to transport in the region of 45,000 people to and from the golf course every day during the week of The 2014 Ryder Cup. Visitors to the event will be able to enjoy a comfortable and pleasurable journey from their Park and Ride base.
“We are delighted that Stagecoach, a company with its roots firmly in Scotland, will facilitate these transfers and ensure the smooth arrival and departure of the spectators at Gleneagles.”
The majority of the operation will be managed by Stagecoach East Scotland which is based in Kirkcaldy, Scotland. However, vehicles will also be provided by Stagecoach’s regional bus companies across the UK. Stagecoach also delivered a successful transport operation at The 2010 Ryder Cup in Wales.
Robert Montgomery, Managing Director of Stagecoach UK Bus, said: “It’s a great honour to have been awarded the contract to operate the bus services for the Park & Ride sites for The 2014 Ryder Cup. We’re delighted to be involved in such a prestigious, global sporting event which has not been held in Scotland since 1973.
“Stagecoach has wide-ranging experience of providing transport services for major sporting events including the 2012 London Olympics, the 2010 Ryder cup in Wales, the British Grand Prix at Silverstone over a number of years and many more.
“We will be calling on the significant resources of our regional companies within our UK Bus division to help ensure the success of the operation and we look forward to enhancing the experience for the spectators who play such an important role in the event.”
For all information, image and comment requests regarding The 2014 Ryder Cup, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 226 2363.
• Stagecoach Group is a leading international public transport group, with extensive operations in the UK, United States and Canada. The Group employs around 35,000 people, and operates bus, coach, train, and tram services.
• Stagecoach is one of UK’s biggest bus and coach operators with around 8,000 buses and coaches. Around 2.5 million passengers travel on Stagecoach’s buses every day on a network stretching from south-west England to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland. The Group’s business includes major city bus operations in London, Liverpool, Newcastle, Hull, Manchester, Oxford, Sheffield and Cambridge. Low-cost coach service, megabus.com, operates between around 60 towns and cities across the UK.
• Stagecoach is a major UK rail operator, running the South West Trains, Island Line and East Midlands Trains networks. It has a 49% shareholding in Virgin Rail Group, which operates the West Coast inter-city rail franchise.
• Stagecoach also operates the Supertram light rail network in Sheffield.
• In North America, Stagecoach operates around 2,900 buses and coaches in the United States and Canada. Megabus.com links around 130 key locations in North America. Stagecoach is also involved in operating commuter and transit services, contracted bus services, charters, sightseeing tours and a small number of school bus services.