- 80.1-m Bilgin 263 yacht to be powered by twin MTU 16V 4000 units
- Long-standing partnership between MTU and Bilgin
FRIEDRICHSHAFEN, GERMANY/ ISTANBUL, TURKEY, 09-Mar-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — MTU Turkey has signed a contract with Istanbul-based Bilgin Yachts for the supply of six MTU engines. These will be deployed to power two 47.6-m Bilgin 156 motor yachts, as well as the largest yacht ever built in Turkey in its class – the Bilgin 263. Bilgin Yachts recently won the construction order for the 80.1-m superyacht from a long-standing customer. It will be powered by twin MTU 16V 4000 M63R engines. Bilgin also decided to embark on the construction of two 47.6-m motor yachts – each of which will be powered by an MTU 12V 2000 M72 unit. MTU is part of Rolls-Royce Power Systems.
The 80.1-m superyacht will also be the largest vessel that Bilgin Yachts has been entrusted to build. Bilgin CEO İsmail Şengün said: “Realization of this large-scale project definitely represents a major step forward for Bilgin. And this important project will also enable us to continue our excellent cooperation with MTU. We may be increasing the engine order to eight units, as another contract for an 80-m vessel is on the way.” Construction is scheduled to begin in March 2016 and delivery is planned for 2019.
Ekrem Kuraloğlu, Managing Director of MTU Turkey, said: “This is an exciting and challenging opportunity for us in today’s yacht market and we very much appreciate the opportunity to collaborate again with Bilgin.” MTU and Bilgin have been working together for 20 years.
MTU will supply the engines for the 47.6-m yachts in September 2016 and mid-2017, while the engines for the 80.1-m superyacht are to be shipped in late 2016.
Press photos are available for download from www.mtu-online.com/press
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce’s vision is to be the market-leader in high performance power systems where our engineering expertise, global reach and deep industry knowledge deliver outstanding customer relationships and solutions. We operate across five businesses: Civil Aerospace, Defence Aerospace, Marine, Nuclear and Power Systems.
- Rolls-Royce Power Systems is headquartered in Friedrichshafen in southern Germany and employs around 10,000 people. The product portfolio includes MTU-brand high-speed engines and propulsion systems for ships, power generation, heavy land, rail and defence vehicles and for the oil and gas industry. Under the MTU Onsite Energy brand, the company markets diesel gensets for emergency, base load and peak load applications as well as cogeneration plants using gas engines for the combined generation of heat and power. Bergen medium-speed engines power ships and power generation applications. L’Orange completes the portfolio with fuel injection systems for large engines.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries, comprising more than 400 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces, 4,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and more than 5,000 power and nuclear customers.
- We have three common themes across all our businesses:
- Investing in and developing engineering excellence.
- Driving a manufacturing and supply chain transformation which will embed operational excellence in lean, lower-cost facilities and processes.
- Leveraging our installed base, product knowledge and engineering capabilities to provide customers with outstanding service through which we can capture aftermarket value long into the future.
- Annual underlying revenue was £13.4 billion in 2015, around half of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm and announced order book stood at £76.4 billion at the end of 2015.
- In 2015, Rolls-Royce invested £1.2 billion on research and development. We also support a global network of 31 University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at the forefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 50,000 people in more than 46 countries. Nearly 15,700 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduate recruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2015 we employed 228 graduates and 277 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes.
Director of External Communications
Tel +44 (0)2072279163
Mobile +44 (0)7974918416
External Communications Manager
Mobile +44 (0)7968906469