DERBY, 10-8-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — Rolls-Royce and Hispano-Suiza (Safran) have named their joint venture Aero Gearbox International and announced plans to construct a new production plant in Poland. The news follows the signing of a final agreement, on 24 October 2014, to create a jointly-owned company that will design, develop, produce and support accessory drive trains (ADTs) for all of Rolls-Royce’s future civil aircraft engines.
The new venture will capitalise on its parent companies’ combined experience and expertise, encompassing the capabilities of Hispano-Suiza in the design and production of accessory drive trains, and the engine design and propulsion system integration skills of Rolls-Royce.
Based on an initial exclusive 25-year contract, Aero Gearbox International will cover the entire range of civil aircraft, from business jets to widebody commercial jets. Accessory drive trains, sometimes referred to as accessory gearboxes, are a critical component of a gas turbine engine, harnessing its power to drive systems and accessories such as fuel pumps, hydraulic pumps and electrical generators. The accessory drive train for the new Trent 7000 will be one of Aero Gearbox International’s first products.
Rolls-Royce and Hispano-Suiza will manage Aero Gearbox International’s operations. The joint venture will initially have a total of 60 employees from the two parent companies spread across Colombes (near Paris, France), Derby (UK) and Dahlewitz (Germany). It is headquartered at Hispano-Suiza’s site in Colombes.
The construction of a new production plant will start at the end of 2015. It will be located in the Podkarpackie Province in southeast Poland. This dedicated production facility will harness the region’s mechanical expertise and draw on the experience of the Hispano-Suiza Polska facility located in Sedziszow Malopolski. The new plant will initially grow to approximately 110 people and the first deliveries are expected in 2017.
“I would like to congratulate everybody at Rolls-Royce and Hispano-Suiza who contributed to the creation of this new joint venture,” said Hélène Moreau-Leroy, CEO of Hispano-Suiza. “Aero Gearbox International carries on the long-standing relationship between our two companies, and allows Hispano-Suiza to secure its world leadership in the accessory drive train market for mainline commercial jets.”
Norbert Arndt, Rolls-Royce, Executive Vice President – Structures and Transmissions, said, “Rolls-Royce’s market lead in the Civil Large Engine market is built on innovation alongside proven expertise. This joint venture delivers both. I’m proud of what our teams have created and am sure our customers across the total civil engine business will be delighted.”
About Rolls-Royce Holdings plc
- Rolls-Royce’s vision is to create better power for achanging world via two main business divisions, Aerospace and Land & Sea.These business divisions address markets with two strong technology platforms,gas turbines and reciprocating engines. Aerospace comprises Civil Aerospace andDefence Aerospace. Land & Sea comprises Marine, Nuclear and Power Systems.
- Rolls-Royce has customers in more than 120 countries,comprising more than 380 airlines and leasing customers, 160 armed forces,4,000 marine customers including 70 navies, and more than 5,000 power andnuclear customers.
- Our business is focused on the 4Cs:
- Customer – placing the customer at the heart of our business
- Concentration – deciding where to grow and where not to
- Cost – continually looking to increase efficiency
- Cash – improving financial performance.
- Annual underlying revenue was £14.6 billion in 2014, aroundhalf of which came from the provision of aftermarket services. The firm andannounced order book stood at £76.5 billion at 30 June 2015.
- In 2014, Rolls-Royce invested £1.2 billion onresearch and development. We also support a global network of 31University Technology Centres, which position Rolls-Royce engineers at theforefront of scientific research.
- Rolls-Royce employs over 54,000 people in more than 50countries. Over 15,500 of these are engineers.
- The Group has a strong commitment to apprentice and graduaterecruitment and to further developing employee skills. In 2014 we employed 354graduates and 357 apprentices through our worldwide training programmes.Globally we have over 1,000 Rolls-Royce STEM ambassadors who are activelyinvolved in education programmes and activities; we have set ourselves a targetto reach 6 million people through our STEM outreach activities by 2020.
Hispano-Suiza (Safran) is a globally-recognized specialist inpower transmissions on civil, military and helicopter markets. Hispano-Suizadesigns, develops, produces and supports power transmissions which delivermechanical energy to engine accessories or aircraft systems. It is the world’sleading supplier of engine power transmissions, with a market share of nearly60% of all mainline jets (over 100 seats) and an installed base covering morethan 30,000 engines worldwide. Hispano-Suiza invests heavily in R&D todevelop innovative power transmissions for tomorrow’s engines, including theRolls-Royce Trent XWB and CFM International LEAP. For more information: www.hispano-suiza-sa.com