- Safer, faster travel on popular rail line thanks to latest rail communications system
- Turnkey project is part of comprehensive Polish rail network modernization
- Nokia’s third major GSM-Railway project in Poland
Warsaw, Poland, 28-11-2014 — /EuropaWire/ — Nokia Networks will provide its GSM-Railway (GSM-R*) mobile infrastructure for the 110-kilometer route linking Poland’s capital of Warsaw with the central city of Lodz. The secure digital mobile infrastructure will increase safety and help reduce traveling time by enabling faster speeds.
The turnkey project is part of a comprehensive modernization plan of the national rail network, carried out by Poland’s rail network management, PKP Polskie Linie Kolejowe (PLK).
Nokia’s Railway solution includes:
- Flexi Base Stations and the Base Station Controller
- European Train Control System (ETCS)** level 2 signaling integration into the GSM-R platform
- Turnkey services: Network design, project management, network implementation, maintenance
- NetAct network management system to ensure network efficiency and stability
Dirk Lewandowski, head of Railway Solutions at Nokia Networks, said: “The Warsaw-Lodz corridor is one of the most popular railway lines in Poland and this project marks another important addition to our rail communications contracts in this country. We have already been selected to provide the mobile infrastructure for the strategic line between Warsaw and Gdynia and the 440-kilometer section of the East-West route between Lowicz and Terespol.”
Did you know?
Nokia Networks serves over 70,000 kilometers of railways globally and is the market leader in GSM-R with 29 GSM-R networks deployed globally. GSM-R markedly improves the security, reliability and safety of rail services. For instance, it significantly enhancescommunication with trains passing through tunnels, affording far greater safety in case of emergencies.
- GSM-R Website
- GSM-R Brochure
- Press release GSM-R solution to enable automated train control and help railway operators handle 40% more train traffic.
Connect with Nokia Networks:
Nokia invests in technologies important in a world where billions of devices are connected. We are focused on three businesses: network infrastructure software, hardware and services, which we offer through Nokia Networks; location intelligence, which we provide through HERE; and advanced technology development and licensing, which we pursue through Nokia Technologies. Each of these businesses is a leader in its respective field.
Nokia Networks is the world’s specialist in mobile broadband. From the first ever call on GSM, to the first call on LTE, we operate at the forefront of each generation of mobile technology. Our global experts invent the new capabilities our customers need in their networks. We provide the world’s most efficient mobile networks, the intelligence to maximize the value of those networks, and the services to make it all work seamlessly. www.networks.nokia.com // http://company.nokia.com
Phone: +48 660 430 098
Phone: +358 7140 02869
* Global System for Mobile Communications – Railway (GSM-R) is a proven digital platform that is now the standard for railway-specific voice and data operational services on five continents including Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia and South America.
** ETCS is a signaling, control and train protection system designed to replace the many incompatible safety systems currently used by European railways, especially on high-speed lines.