- Sixteen week project to replace gas mains in Desborough Road
- Work will be delivered in phases to minimise disruption
- Project will help ensure local community keep on enjoying safe and reliable gas supplies.
LONDON, 24-Mar-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — Work is about to kick off on an essential National Grid project which will help ensure the local community keep on enjoying safe and reliable gas supplies.
Work is due to begin on Thursday 24 March and is expected to be completed in July 2016.
The project involves replacing ageing gas main in Desborough Road with tough, new, long-lasting plastic pipes which will last for decades.
Phase 1: Thursday 24 March to Monday 11 April 2016
Work will be carried out at the double roundabout at the junction of Desborough Road and Desborough Avenue.
Temporary traffic lights will be installed at the double roundabout to minimise congestion.
This phase has been deliberately scheduled for the school Easter holidays when roads are generally quieter to further reduce congestion.
Phase 2: Tuesday 12 April to Saturday 9 July 2016
Work will be carried out from outside 160 Desborough Road to 202 Desborough Road.
Parking bays will be suspended.
Phase 3: Dates TBC
Work will take place from outside 160 Desborough Road to the junction with Bridge Street. Again, parking bays in this area will be suspended during the work.
Phase 4: Dates TBC
This final phase will be from the junction of Bridge Street to the opposite entrance to Newlands Walk.
Project engineer Phil Walden said: “This essential work will help ensure the local community in the Desborough Road area keep on enjoying safe and reliable gas supplies.
“We’ve carefully planned the work to ensure it’s delivered with as little disruption as possible.”
As part of the project gas engineers will require access to some properties to replace service pipes which will involve temporarily disconnecting the gas supply. National Grid will write to affected residents and businesses to let them know beforehand.
All National Grid employees and contractors carry official identity cards, which people should ask to see before letting anyone into their property.
For further information about this project and to verify the identity of engineers call 0800 096 5678.
More information can also be found at www.bettergaspipes.co.uk
National Grid operates a range of gas and electricity facilities in the area, for more information on how the company connects people to the energy they use go to www.nationalgrid.com
Contact for media information only
Regional press officer – South/North London network
+44 (0)7810 853075
+44 (0)7810 853075
Notes to Editors:
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. This accolade acknowledges all of our efforts in getting involve with the things that really matter to us and to society. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry – 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.