- Work will keep gas flowing until the end of the century
- Temporary traffic lights on Sywell Road and Overstone Road
LONDON, 5-1-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — The New Year heralds a gas mains upgrade in Sywell and Overstone, Northamptonshire, that will keep the gas flowing to homes and businesses until the end of the century.
National Grid will be installing 2,248 metres of new pipes – approximately a mile-and-a-half. The existing iron mains will be replaced with tough, long-lasting plastic pipes that will last for at least 80 years.
Work starts today (4 January) and is expected to be completed by mid-April. The gas mains will be renewed in the following roads: Overstone Road, Bembridge Close and Park Close in Sywell and Sywell Road and Woodland Avenue in Overstone.
To carry out the work safely, temporary traffic lights will be needed while the project is under way. The traffic lights will initially be stationed in Sywell Road, Overstone and will move along into Overstone Road, Sywell, as each stretch of gas main is replaced.
National Grid authorising engineer Mark Allsop said: “This is essential work that will ensure that local people continue to enjoy a safe and reliable gas supply for decades to come. For the safety of our workers and the public, temporary traffic lights will be needed.
“We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but we would urge people to bear with us while we complete this essential work. We will make every effort to minimise any disruption and complete the work as soon as possible.”
For any queries about this work people should contact National Grid’s customer services team on 0800 096 5678.
Contact for media information only
Regional press officer East Midlands, East Anglia, Yorkshire & Humberside
+44 (0)7899 983792
+44 (0)1926 655271
Notes to Editors:
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and was named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. This accolade acknowledges all of our efforts in getting involve with the things that really matter to us and to society. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry – 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.
SOURCE: National Grid