- Fun and games in the maths class
- Pioneering numeracy scheme helps pupils
LONDON, 22-Dec-2016 — /EuropaWire/ — Big hearted Sue Uttley has been honoured for her volunteer maths work with Hinckley school children.
Sue, a design analyst with National Grid at Hinckley, has been helping youngsters tackle maths for the last five years.
She is part of an 11-strong team from National Grid taking part in the pioneering Number Partners programme, run by business and community charity Leicestershire Cares.
Sue was presented with the charity’s prestigious “Golden Heart” award to mark her dedication and time with the scheme. She goes each week to Hinckley Parks Primary School to develop children’s confidence and “make maths fun” for the pupils.
Number Partners uses specifically designed board games to help pupils improve their numeracy skills such as times tables. The games start out simple, and get harder and harder.
The pupils give up their play time after lunch to attend the classes. They see the lessons as something special.
Sue said: “It’s so rewarding to see the children growing in confidence and learning from the Number Partners scheme. Some start out being shy and hesitant, but they’re soon eager to learn and are raring to go when we arrive. Some of them are now better at fractions and decimal points than me!
“I’ve also gained so much enjoyment from helping the community where I work. I am honoured to receive the award; the real pleasure is knowing you’re giving something back to people.”
Joanne Hudson, Leicestershire Cares Number Partners co-ordinator, said: “Sue thoroughly deserves this award for all the time and effort she puts into helping at Hinckley Parks. The scheme has been a great success in local schools, and that’s down to people like Sue and her colleagues at National Grid Hinckley.”
Sue has worked in the gas industry for 27 years. She works with a team of fellow design analysts who monitor the flow of gas around the network ensuring customers receive gas supplies reliably and safely.
Leicestershire Cares brings local businesses and communities together, for the benefit of all, through employee volunteering.
Leicestershire-based companies who are interested in supporting future initiatives should contact Leicestershire Cares on 0116 275 6490.
SOURCE: National Grid
Contact for media information only
Regional press officer – Midlands (West Mids & East Mids)
+44 (0)7899 983792
+44 (0)1926 655271
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry – 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face at www.nationalgridconnecting.com
National Grid undertakes no obligation to update any of the information contained in this release, which speaks only as at the date of this release, unless required by law or regulation.