• National Grid helps boosts facilities at RSPB Bowers Marsh nature reserve
- Popular reserve is home to rare species including great crested newts and water voles
- National Grid recently completed vital work in the reserve to keep the region’s lights on
LONDON, 09-1-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — Bowers Marsh nature reserve has had a helping hand from National Grid as it prepares to receive more visitors than ever in 2015.
The £5million RSPB reserve, located south of Basildon, is undergoing a revamp to improve the visitor experience, especially for families.
National Grid, which has been carrying out vital work to local overhead lines which run through the reserve, has donated trees, provided new oak leaflet holders and resurfaced a number of footpaths at the site.
Steve Roach, Warden at Bowers Marsh, said:
“We were pleased that National Grid completed their work at the marsh with great care and we are delighted with their contribution to the future of the reserve. Our improvements are making Bowers Marsh better for people and wildlife and we expect to see many more birds visiting the reserve over the next year.”
Graham Livings, Project Manager at National Grid, said:
“The wildlife at Bowers Marsh is incredibly rich and we took great care to ensure our work to the overhead lines in the reserve was carried out as sensitively as possible.
“The reserve is a real asset to the area, and we were pleased to help RSPB’s work to encourage future visitors.”
For more information on National Grid’s overhead line refurbishment in South Essex go to http://www2.nationalgrid.com/UK/In-your-area/Projects/South-Essex/
Contact for media information only:
|Regional Press Officer South
Follow us on Twitter
Out of hours 0845 366 6769
For photos relating to this news release please visit the National Grid photo stream
Notes to Editors:
National Grid is one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world and has been named Responsible Business of the Year 2014 by Business in the Community. We own and manage the grids that connect people to the energy they need, from whatever the source. In Britain and the north-eastern states of the US we run systems that deliver gas and electricity to millions of people, businesses and communities.
In Britain, we run the gas and electricity systems that our society is built on, delivering gas and electricity across the country. In the North Eastern US, we connect more than seven million gas and electric customers to vital energy sources, essential for our modern lifestyles.
National Grid in the UK:
- We own the high-voltage electricity transmission network in England and Wales, operating it across Great Britain
- We own and operate the high pressure gas transmission system in Britain
- Our gas distribution business delivers gas to 10.9 million homes and businesses
- We also own a number of related businesses including LNG importation, land remediation and metering
- National Grid manages the National Gas Emergency Service free phone line on behalf of the industry – 0800 111 999 (all calls are recorded and may be monitored).
- Our portfolio of other businesses is mainly concerned with infrastructure provision and related services where we can exploit our core skills and assets to create value. These businesses operate in areas such as Metering, Grain LNG Import, Interconnectors and Property. National Grid Carbon Ltd is a wholly owned subsidiary of National Grid. It undertakes Carbon Capture Storage related activities on behalf of National Grid.
National Grid in the US:
- National Grid delivers electricity to approximately 3.4 million customers in New England and upstate New York
- We own 3.8 gigawatts of contracted electricity generation, providing power to over one million LIPA customers
- We are the largest distributor of natural gas in northeastern U.S., serving approximately 3.5 million customers in New York, Massachusetts and Rhode Island.
Find out more about the energy challenge and how National Grid is helping find solutions to some of the challenges we face atwww.nationalgridconnecting.com