- Styling and performance enhancements for Continental GT Speed, the fastest production Bentley ever
- Flying Spur luxury sedan adds V8 power
- Strong sales and record financial performance maintain brand’s momentum
New York, 16-4-2014 — /EuropaWire/ — At the New York International Auto Show, Bentley presents the upgraded performance of the Continental GT Speed and introduces the acclaimed V8 engine to the Flying Spur luxury sedan. Driven by the depth of the Bentley product range, Q1 2014 sales grew by 10% in the Americas region.
“I’m excited for the new Flying Spur V8 and 2015 GT Speed models to make their North American debut in New York,” said Christophe Georges, President and COO, Bentley Motors, Inc. “2013 was a record year for Bentley and demonstrated the high level of performance the brand is capable of. I look forward to seeing that success continue as the depth and breadth of our model lines continue to expand. All of our new products and initiatives will continue to embody the spirit of Bentley’s heritage while delivering effortless performance.”
Enhanced power and style for Continental GT Speed
The capabilities of Bentley’s flagship Grand Tourer are enhanced with updates to its supercar performance and unrivalled refinement.
Bentley’s iconic 6.0-litre twin-turbo W12 engine is engineered even further, now with 626 bhp and a record 607 lb-ft torque. The GT Speed coupe is the fastest production Bentley ever with a top speed of 206 mph. The GT Speed Convertible is the fastest four seat open top car in the world, capable of 203 mph.
The dynamic performance of the Continental flagship model is complemented by a signature visual appearance. The sharp front splitter, discrete side skirts and elegant rear diffuser of the Mulliner Styling Specification are finished to match the exterior paint color. The 21” Speed wheel design, headlamps and tail lamps are given a dark tint finish. The exterior modifications are completed with red-painted brake calipers and chrome “Speed” badge.
The visual changes continue inside the cabin of the GT Speed. Bentley’s unrivaled craftsmanship is now displayed in a more contemporary and sporting manor starting with a new color split reserved for the Speed models. Starting with a dark mono-tone interior, accent stripes in a contrasting color are applied across the doors, rear panels, fascia wings, inner console and gear lever. “Speed” branding is sewn to the headrests, while a chrome “Speed” badge enhances the passenger side fascia panel.
The new V8 – an introduction to the world’s best luxury sedan
Complementing the Flying Spur flagship W12, the V8 model provides the opportunity for drivers to experience the Flying Spur’s blend of performance, craftsmanship and technology with an enhanced touring range.
Bentley’s renowned 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine develops 500 bhp and 488 lb-ft of torque, powering the Flying Spur V8 to 60 mph in 4.9 seconds and on to a top speed of 183 mph. This performance comes with an extended fuel range of more than 500 miles.
Subtle styling differentiates the Flying Spur V8 from its W12 sibling, including figure of eight chromed exhaust finishers and a red center to the Bentley Wings badges to denote the V8 engine. The front bumper grills are finished in black, with a black “wing” insert.
Bentley reaches record sales and profit
2013 was a year of record sales and financial success for Bentley. Globally, sales reached 10,120 units, a record high in the company’s 95 year history.
Global operating profit was up 66.9% to a record £139.7 million. Turnover also increased 15.5% to £1.40 billion, the highest in Bentley’s history.
This performance was aided by a highly successful Americas region, with sales increasing 28% to 3,140 cars. The region was the largest market for Bentley, providing 31% of total deliveries.
Continuing on this momentum, Bentley’s Q1 2014 performance showed global deliveries up 17% over Q1 2013. The Americas maintained its number one position, with a 10% increase in customer deliveries (698 cars).
– ENDS –
Notes to editors
- Bentley Motors is the most sought after luxury car brand in the world. In 2013 one in every four luxury cars delivered to customers worldwide was a Bentley. 2013 was Bentley’s record year in the company’s 95-year history. Global customer deliveries grew by 19% over 2012 to 10,120 cars. The Americas remained Bentley’s largest sales region, with 3,140 cars delivered. China continued its position as the second biggest market with 2,191 cars, while in Europe, deliveries reached 1,480 cars. Sales in Bentley’s home market, the UK, were 1,381 and in the Middle East, Bentley delivered 1,185 cars. By the end of 2013 Bentley had nearly 200 dealerships in 54 countries.
- Bentley Motors’ headquarters in Crewe is home to all of its operations including design, R&D, engineering and production of the company’s three model lines, Continental, Flying Spur and Mulsanne. The combination of fine craftsmanship, using skills that have been handed down through generations, alongside engineering expertise and cutting-edge technology is unique to UK luxury car brands such as Bentley. It is also an example of high-value British manufacturing at its best. Bentley employs around 3,700 people at Crewe.
Head of Communications
Bentley Motors, Inc.
2200 Ferdinand Porsche Drive