LONDON, 31-Jul-2017 — /EuropaWire/ — Young holidaymakers value internet access above anything else – including price – when choosing a vacation resort, according to new research from travel insurer Aviva.
Aviva’s Holiday Report, which surveyed over 2,000 British holidaymakers, found that 40% of those aged 16-24 years old consider free Wi-Fi to be amongst the top three ‘deal breakers’ when choosing holiday accommodation – above price (38%), swimming pool (32%) and walking distance to shops and bars (28%).
Nine out of 10 (90%) people in this age group say they post updates to social media while on holiday, compared to nearly two thirds (64%) of holiday makers across all age groups.
In fact, a third of people in this age group who post to social media while on holiday do so before they even get on the plane. One in eight (13%) post an update as soon as they leave the house, while one in five (10%) post an update at the airport.
Adam Beckett, Propositions Director at Aviva, said: “With mobile phone roaming charges now officially abolished, it could be that posting to social media while on vacation becomes even more common – particularly among the younger generation who we’ve found are the most prolific users of social media while on holiday.”
Holiday reads are also shunned amongst this age group in favour of digital pursuits. When asked to pick the top three things they are most likely to do on holiday, less than a quarter of 16-24s say they would read a book while away – compared to almost a third who post selfies and holiday pictures to social media while on vacation.
Young people are also the least likely to buy travel insurance when they go on holiday. Although of those that do, they are the most likely age group to read their policy.
A copy of the Aviva Holiday Report, published June 2017, can be downloaded from the media centre on Aviva.com by clicking this link: Aviva Holiday Report.
Notes to editors:
1 Aviva Holiday Report, June 2017: Based on a March 2017 survey by Censuswide of 2,000 18+ GB adults who have taken a holiday in the past two years.
- Aviva provides life insurance, general insurance, health insurance and asset management to 33 million customers.
- In the UK we are the leading insurer serving one in every four households and have strong businesses in selected markets in Europe, Asia and Canada. Our shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange and we are a member of the FTSE100 index.
- Aviva’s asset management business, Aviva Investors, provides asset management services to both Aviva and external clients, and currently manages over £340 billion in assets. Total group assets under management at Aviva group are £450 billion.
- Aviva helps people save for the future and manage the risks of everyday life; we paid out £34.4 billion in benefits and claims in 2016.
- By serving our customers well, we are building a business which is strong and sustainable, which our people are proud to work for, and which makes a positive contribution to society.
- The Aviva media centre at http://www.aviva.com/media/ includes company information, images, and a news release archive.
- For an introduction to what we do and how we do it, please click here http://www.aviva.com/about-us/aviva/
- For broadcast-standard video, please visit http://www.aviva.com/media/b-roll-library/
- Follow us on twitter: www.twitter.com/avivaplc/
- Follow us on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/aviva-plc
- For the latest corporate films from around our business, subscribe to our YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/aviva
- We have a Globelynx system for broadcast interviews. Please contact the Press Officer noted above if you would like to make a booking.
SOURCE: Aviva plc