Test using Alcatel-Lucent 400G technology over existing network between Madrid and Zaragoza demonstrates significant increase in ultra-broadband access capacity
Paris, 30-1-2015 — /EuropaWire/ — Alcatel-Lucent (Euronext Paris and NYSE: ALU) and Vodafone Spain have successfully carried out a trial of transporting data at speeds of up to 400G (gigabits-per second) over a distance of 400 kilometers between Madrid and Zaragoza using existing optical infrastructure.
The trial was conducted with Alcatel-Lucent’s 400G technology and demonstrates the ability of an existing optical network to carry data at up to 17.6 terabits-per-second (Tbps), doubling the current spectral efficiency in fiber. It is the equivalent of transmitting the contents of 88 Blu-ray discs in a single second while reducing power and space consumption by half.
- Successful 400 Gbps transmission trial was conducted on Vodafone Spain’s existing Dispersion Compensation Module network between Madrid and Zaragoza.
- Trial covered a distance of 400km using the existing optical network that was originally carrying a mix of 10 Gbps, 40 Gbps & 100 Gbps traffic streams.
- Alcatel-Lucent’s optical trial solution is based on its 1830 Photonic Service Switch platform, and has the ability to be deployed simultaneously with existing multiple 10 Gbps, 40 Gbps and 100 Gbps network links.
- 400 Gbps optical technology was developed by Bell Labs, Alcatel-Lucent’s research arm, to address the capacity requirements that networks are experiencing with the emergence of new applications, services and smart devices that require high bandwidth and seamless connectivity.
- Trial demonstrated that 400 Gbps transmission can be added on an existing network without disruption of the traffic or reengineering of the optical link.
Mauro Costa, Vodafone Director Core and Transport CoE: “This trial demonstrates that it is possible to transmit data at 400 Gbps over a considerable distance simultaneously with other transmission speeds using our existing infrastructure.”
Nikos Plevris, head of Transmission & Transport– Vodafone European Network Engineering: “With this trial we have demonstrated that it is possible to cost-effectively increase network capacity and enhance the quality of broadband without disrupting traffic or extensively reengineering infrastructure”.
Willem Hendrickx, President Europe, Middle East and Africa of Alcatel-Lucent said: “This trial application of Alcatel-Lucent’s innovation in optical transmission demonstrated our ability to provide Vodafone with the technology they need to meet their rapidly evolving requirements. Specifically, this trial has demonstrated the feasibility of state-of-the-art transmission over one of Vodafone’s existing European backbone networks. We look forward to taking this innovation to the next step with them”.
ABOUT ALCATEL-LUCENT (EURONEXT PARIS AND NYSE: ALU)
Alcatel-Lucent is the leading IP networking, ultra-broadband access and cloud technology specialist. We are dedicated to making global communications more innovative, sustainable and accessible for people, businesses and governments worldwide. Our mission is to invent and deliver trusted networks to help our customers unleash their value. Every success has its network.