LONDON, 20-Jun-2018 — /EuropaWire/ — A new guide aimed at students, school leavers and sixth-formers looking for a career in the clean energy sector is being unveiled today at RenewableUK’s Global Offshore Wind conference and exhibition in Manchester – the largest event of its kind in the world.
“Your Career In Offshore Wind” highlights the wide variety of jobs on offer to young people in this fast-growing industry in planning, building and operating projects. These roles include designers, engineers, turbine technicians, economists, investment analysts, environmental scientists, geophysicists and oceanographers.
The guide also explains how the industry has grown up fast in the last two decades to become a mainstream source of power. It outlines how an offshore wind farm is built, identifying all its constituent parts, from turbine components to cabling and onshore electricity substations.
It will be available at the Ørsted Skills Hub at RenewableUK’s event in Manchester Central. Students interested in learning about the UK’s world-leading offshore wind industry have a chance to meet representatives from major companies and to hear first-hand from young industry employees about what working in offshore wind is really like.
RenewableUK’s Deputy Chief Executive Maf Smith said “This is a dynamic, innovative industry with plenty of opportunities for people looking for well-paid, long term jobs. We’re a young sector looking to attract enthusiastic, hard-working people who care about what they do, and want to make a difference by helping to clean up the way we generate power. The guide we’re publishing today will help them along that career path”.
Over 150 companies are exhibiting at RenewableUK’s Global Offshore Wind event at Manchester Central on 19th-20th June, with 2,500 people attending.
For further information, please contact:
- Luke Clark, Head of External Affairs 0207 901 3037 or 07973 481 907 Luke.Clark@RenewableUK.com
- Robert Norris, Head of Communications, 0207 901 3013 or 07969 229 913 Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
- The new guide “Your Career In Offshore Wind” is available here
- RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the wind, wave and tidal energy industries. Formed in 1978, and with more than 400 corporate members, RenewableUK is the country’s leading renewable energy trade association. We are celebrating our 40th anniversary this year.
- More details of Global Offshore Wind 2017 can be found here . Major event partners include innogy, MHI Vestas Offshore Wind, Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult, ScottishPower Renewables, Statoil; and the UK Government’s Department for International Trade (DIT).